Discipline what works for you?
Today, while I was trying to nap, I was thinking about what to blog. Then I thought, "I really enjoy the show Super Nanny." I like her way of thinking. I believe it's very important to agree with your spouse about how to discipline. I hate spanking, but if I threaten it, I have to follow through. I used to be full of empty threats. I make sure I'm willing to execute my threats before I make them. My kids are much better behaved now. They take me seriously. I wish it didn't have to be that way. Obviously, it's more fun to be their friend than the "adult". What's your opinion? I'm always open to advice.


3 Comments:
I'm not a parent, but having 23 teenagers and 3 children that are much more mine than anyone else's, I've certainly learned a thing or two about parenting. Empty threats and friends rather than parents are two major causes of problems in later life. I'm SO GLAD to hear you say that you follow-through with your discipline and that you've chosen the more difficult route of parenting, rather than the "more-fun." Your kids will turn out better for it. They will be more respectful of adults, more disciplined in school and work, and happier to have a set of rules that they know will never change. They will be a constant in their life...something so important today!
You're absolutely right--you have to be consistent and follow through. Cliff is much better at it than I am--it's so much easier to just give in sometimes.
We don't spank our kids, but they know there are negative consequences for negative behavior (lost TV prilleges, less allowance, no toys etc.) and positive consequences for positive behavior (lots of praise, a special treat, an extended bedtime,etc.). It's worked great with Meg and is already working well with Ben.
The "experts" say you can't be both parent and friend. Your job is to be the parent. That doesn't mean you can't be a parent they really like! I think it is important that they know you care about them and that you are trying to understand them, but...in the end, you have to be the parent and that means sometimes you will disagree with them and discipline them. They will be your friends when they are adults!
Grandma Stout
Post a Comment
<< Home