Will it ever end?
I have had sick kids for three weeks now and I keep thinking when will it end? Merlin was sick first, three weeks ago he vomited all over me and the couch, then Summer gave him another apple and he did it again. The second time I caught him and we made it to the sink. After Merlins stomach upset I was hoping we were done, then came diarrhea and it stayed around for two plus weeks. The second week Carolee got diarrhea. I had two with diarrhea, I was happy Summer seemed to be healthy. Then Monday while we were out, Merlins fever hit and it was high. I was thinking it was just a 24 hour bug. Then Tuesday Summer started acting sick, she had a fever too. I was hoping at that point that my baby wouldn’t get it, I’m still hopeful. Summer and Merlin have been achy and coughing and sneezing and crying and clingy. All they have wanted to do is sit and watch TV. They haven’t had appetites and it’s been hard to keep them hydrated. My thought of a 24 hour bug was way off. I’m still waiting for all their symptoms to go away and it’s Saturday.
Of all the days they have been sick Friday was the worst. They seemed to be getting better and even slept a little during the night, but I felt horrible! Friday was already a dreaded day for me, but to not feel good, I had a scheduled x-ray.
My x-ray, I was told, would take 3 to 5 hours. I was also told I would have to drink a contrast. Once I found out I was going to have to drink a contrast , I called my doctor and tried to get out of the procedure all together. He told me the specialist would need to see the x-ray, so I at least got him to give me some anti-nausea medicine. I took my medicine before I left and it’s a good thing I did. The technician prepped me for the x-ray. First I stand on a platform then they gave me fizzy crystals, which mad me want to burp and didn’t taste very good either. Then I had to swallow air so I wouldn’t burp, the doctor was taking x-rays while I drank everything and he was standing pretty close to me. Next they had me drink a thick barium solution and I almost vomited, they told me to take another drink and I gagged again. I think the doctor had me take one more drink, before he had the technician take the solution away from me. Then they laid the table down and continued to take pictures. Once I was lying down they gave me a thin barium solution and encouraged me to take some big gulps. I gagged with every one. I have no tolerance for nasty solutions! Finally they gave me some water I happily drank the water. Then I sat up and they wanted me to continue drinking the thin solution until it was gone. I tried and wanted to be done drinking quickly, so I could just let my belly rest. In my attempt to drink all the barium I vomited, and then took a nap on the table until the technician came back in. I told her I threw up and she was shocked. I wasn’t! She went to talk to the doctor to find out what he wanted to do with me. She came back and told me with the amount of barium in my system it would take all day to reach my small intestine. I was supposed to wait there in that room all day. I asked her to talk to the doctor again and see if I could skip the rest of the test. When she came back she said I could go. I was so glad to be getting out of there. I went home and took care of myself and my sick kids.
Not looking forward to any future testing.


<< Home