Saturday, January 29, 2005

Fabulous Friday

Yesterday started out normal. Summer and Merlin watched some shows on television, had a bowl of cereal, then came to get me out of bed. I haven't been sleeping very well because my baby hasn't been sleeping much at night and to top it off, Summer keeps finding her way into my bed.

Carolee was taking a nap and I was just about to start folding the laundry, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Merlin fall off some boxes. It was a pretty bad fall, he tried to stop his fall with his left arm. He started crying and I picked him up and quickly got an ice pack and the phone. I felt his arm to see if anything felt different, I could feel a little bump on his left arm, just above his wrist. Merlin wouldn't stop crying even after I kissed it several times. Usually all Summer and merlin need when they get hurt, is a kiss and everything is better. The kiss technique wasn't working this time. I knew something was wrong and felt we needed to take him to the Emergency Room, to make sure he would be okay.

I called Dad and asked if he could come get us, or if I should call a friend. We called a friend and she came to our rescue. We drove to the hospital, even without our carseats. By the time we got to the hospital I was thinking maybe I'm just paranoid, Merlin didn't seem to be in pain anymore. I signed in, then looked at the estimated wait time and it read 2 to 3 hours, I was wondering if we should stay. I talked to Merlin and wiggled his fingers, he was fine, then I tried to move his hand, he started crying again and I knew at that moment, we had to stay. I'm glad we stayed. After 5 x-rays we discovered that he had broken his arm. The doctor came in and told me Merlin had broken both of the bones in his arm. Poor guy. Three opinions later the doctors decided to put Merlins arm in a soft cast and give him some pain medicine. Four hours after arriving we were finally able to go home.

The kids did pretty good for such a long boring day at the hospital. Merlin is doing good, and adapting quickly to having one working arm. Hopefully, Summer and Merlin will remember, it isn't safe to climb on boxes.

6 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger eCarolee said...

Aaaaahhh...motherhood. Ain't it great?! Hope your move goes well this week!
Grandma Stout

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Suzie said...

Poor baby! And just in time for your move, too. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Hopefully that's the last broken bone you'll ever have to deal with.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh.. the fun of being a mom of three. Broken bones and no sleep. I hope Merlin is feeling better soon and that mommy can get some sleep. Denise

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh I am having trouble getting my comments to post on your site. Sorry if more than one shows up. I am sorry to hear about Merlin's arm and that you are not sleeping very much. Sounds like being a mommy of three active toddlers. :)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

I finally made it here! Where are all the pics?

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home