Fighting the frost!
This was my view from the kitchen window while I was canning pears. Notice the snow on the mountains. It is starting to get really cold. It finally frosted and I wasn't ready to be done harvesting.


So, I went out to the garden tonight after our date and saved as many tomato plants as I could. I only got three or four tomatoes from my backyard so far. I am determinded to get more than that! I'll let you know how it turns out. It is snowing tonight. Doesn't it usually wait until the end of October?


3 Comments:
Good luck with the protecting. Shawn and I canned gallons of spaghetti sauce this year thanks to our harvest, but that took place months ago. Does it really take that long for tomatoes to grow there??? If they don't make it, you can always have some fried green tomatoes!! Yummm!
I planted late, because we had cold weather until late in the spring almost summer. Others in the neighborhodd planted early with walls of water and had a good crop. I waited and then started from seed. Not the best idea! Nest year I intend on starting my plants indside around end of February.
Mine are all GREEN too. They were self grown bushes I was able to get about 5 tomatoes worth eating and the others on the 3 plants either got ransacked by bugs- slugs even wil bug deterrant on them OOOOhhh. not woth the ugly monstrosity in the back yard. Now they have been frosted and I have 3 bushes FULL of green tomatoes. Happy to sell them to neigbors or anyone that wants green tomatoes. Maybe planting them on the east side of the house was a bad idea too they just don't get the amount of sun that they need!
Post a Comment
<< Home